Thursday, July 4, 2013

Harry Potter

Hi there.  I wanted to share something I have been working on.. My son just turned 10 and is a huge Harry Potter fan so I wanted to make him something to go along with all of the Potter themed memorabilia in his room.


I wanted to make a memory box of so he could have a nice variety of themed items. I will give you a breakdown of each section. 

The top section was pretty easy. I believe I got the argyle paper at Hobby Lobby a year or two ago in their loose paper section. Next, I downloaded the HP font 'lumos' off the Internet (yes, there is such a thing), typed out his name, printed, and cut. I distressed it with TH vintage photo and used clear crackle paint to give it a bit of character. I also printed the lightening bolt from the Internet.

The background paper in the box beneath is actually the wallpaper from the Gryffindor Common Room. I wanted to do a couch and fireplace but couldn't find anything small enough so I let it be. 

The Hogwarts emblem, Hedwig, and photo of Moaning Myrtle were all found and printed from the Internet. Don't you just live the toilet seat? I found that in the dollhouse section at the craft store. 

The tiny box on the top left is hard to make out but it represents the deathly hallows...for all of you Potter fans, you know what I am talking about! I printed off a picture is the resurrection stone, broke a toothpick and painted it brown for a wand, and spritzed an iridescent ribbon to make the invisibility cloak.

Below that is the Hall of Frames which includes Salazar Slytherin, Godric Gryffindor, and Helga Hufflepuff. I printed the pics off and added them to charms I purchased. 

The Lady in the gold frame is the Fat Lady...I promise I did not name her that! I found the frame at Michael's in there dollar bins. 

Below the Fat Lady is the Great Hall.  I used a dollhouse table and hung floating candles from the ceiling. 

To the right is the potions classroom and a barrel of butterbeer. My son and I were fortunate enough to go to Universal this year (just the two of us) and we are obsessed with the stuff! We even made butterbeer cupcakes for his birthday!

Next, is the winged keys and lock from the end of the first book. I drew, painted, and cut the wings. 

My favorite box is the sorting hat. I printed him off and glued him to a dollhouse chair I painted. I love the argyle background and the mini house banners above. Very HP!

I added a pic of Harry, Ron, and Hermione, Platforms 9 3/4,  and the Mirror of Erised. 

The final section contains some Quidditch scrapbook accessories I purchased, the Whomping Willow and flying car, the symbol of the deathly hallows (made from toothpicks and paper), a golden snitch I made from a wooden ball, and a Sirius Black wanted sign (I apologize for cutting the photo in half).



I believe that is all. There really aren't too many HP items for purchase out there so I printed the majority from the Internet. I hope you enjoy. Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment